Vacation Residence

This page contains important information on how to apply for the various types of Vacation Residence. There are 3 types of Vacation Residence:

Exam Residence

This type of residence is free to the student, and is funded by Alumni donations. Exam Residence lasts only until the day following your last exam and should you wish to stay in College accommodation longer than this then you must apply for either Academic or Extra Residence.  You should apply for Exam residence as soon as you know the date of your exam.  You are guaranteed to be able to stay in your own room until the day after your last exam.

Academic Residence

Academic Residence is charged at £10 less than the full nightly rate of an allocated room. It is intended for students that must stay beyond term time for academic purposes and applications must be supported by your tutor. The deadline for supported applications is Wednesday of 7th week.

Tutors will generally agree to Academic Residence unless one of the following applies:

• The applicant does not have a valid study need.
• The applicant is requesting an unjustified length of academic residence (Note to Tutors: amending the number of nights is an alternative option to declining)
• The applicant has not discussed the request with their Tutor

Students on an academic disciplinary warning are still eligible to apply for academic residence and a warning status is not grounds in itself for declining a request.

The decision of your Tutor is final in all cases. 

Extra Residence

This is charged at the full nightly room cost of the allocated room. This is for when residency is required for personal reasons. Instructions on how to apply are below. The deadline for applications is Thursday of 7th Week.

Which type of residence should I apply for?

Exam Residence - Exam Residence should be requested only if you are required to stay in Oxford to sit an exam or have a coursework submission deadline after the end of 8th Week and before the start on Trinity Term.

Exam Residence is available only up to, and including, the night of your last exam/coursework deadline. If you wish to stay longer after this point you will need to apply for Academic or Extra Residence. If granted Exam Residence you will stay in your current room, however you may be required to move if you then have Academic/Extra Residence. 

Academic Residence - Academic Residence should be requested if accommodation is required for academic purposes, including to study for final exams in Trinity. Once you have submitted a request via a SharePoint for this then an email will be sent to you Tutor for approval. Once they have responded you will be notified. You’ll be notified again in Week 7 once your residence has been booked in by the Accommodation Manager.

If you are applying for academic residence for your FHS examinations in Trinity Term, please highlight this as your reason for applying when filling out the online form. Rooms will be allocated randomly; all rooms will be at Frewin as College rooms are required for Conferences during the Easter vacation. Other undergraduates who have applications for Academic Residence approved will receive the normal Academic Residence subsidy. All rooms will be at Frewin and will be allocated randomly.

Extra (Vacation) Residence - This is for students staying for any other reasons than those outlined above. Any room allocated will cost the same as it does in Term time. There is no tutor approval needed for this. Please note that in terms of room availability, both Exam and Academic Residence will be prioritised ahead of Extra (Vacation) Residence. All allocated rooms will be at Frewin.

Please note that should any student be experiencing financial difficulties then the College has limited funds available to assist. If you wish to enquire about this please contact the Accountant directly via [email protected].

Allocation of rooms will be on a first come first served basis with priority given to finalists. Allocation of accommodation, which is random, will be confirmed by the Accommodation Manager by the end of week 7.

If you have any questions about this please contact the Accommodation Manager [email protected]


How to Apply

This year applications will be submitted via SharePoint, which will hopefully make it easier for both students and Tutors. To apply please just follow this link and login with your SSO: Brasenose Vacation Residence Applications

If you have any questions on how to apply then there is a link to a guide on the front page.

Applications should be made before Wednesday of 7th Week.

Please note:

Priority is given to Academic Residence & Overseas students as there is only limited availablity of vacation residence

All vacation residence accommodation will be in Frewin with the exception of any current Examinees living in Brasenose main site (9th week only).


Other Information

Overseas students in College or Frewin who require storage for some of their belongings during the vacation should apply via email to the JCR Domestic Rep by Thursday of 7th Week. Storage space is very limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.  You must also ensure that your belongings are packed securely and labelled with your name, staircase & room number.  Please also ensure that you collect your belongings when you return after the break.

Registration of Bicycles
All bicycles left in College and Frewin during the vacation must be registered with the Domestic Bursary.