Helping its members to maintain a strong connection with the College Community and each other.
The Brasenose Society is BNC’s alumni association.
The Society’s formal Object is set out in its Rules, and cannot be changed. In February 2021, the Committee resolved that the Society should give effect to the Object by adopting the following agreed list of activities:
1. Fostering closer relationships between BNC alumni and between alumni and the College Community (whether students, fellows, staff, the Alumni Office or the institution itself)
2. Holding a President’s Summer Party and Society Dinner annually
3. Professional networking with past and present members of the College
4. Social networking with past and present members of the College and encouraging special interest groups and societies
5. Encouraging (but not financing) alumni attendance at or participation in College events
6. Bringing less-connected alumni and their ideas and skills closer to the College
7. Recognising the Development Office’s primary role in these, and with their support and guidance, the Committee and Year Reps should be involved in:
- Supporting the College’s reputation, helping to spread pride-building news about the College via social media and beyond
- Building a better understanding of the College’s strategic aims and needs
8. The Society no longer sees its role as keeping members of the Society informed of events in the College but to encourage their attendance and participation.
All matriculated BNC members automatically become members of the Brasenose Alumni Society when they go down, together with certain former employees/academics of the College (for details see the Rules). There is no membership fee.
President – Rod Clayton (Classics, 1986)*
Vice President – Narmada Thiranagama (Modern History, 1996)
Treasurer – Nigel Bird (Physics, 1969)**
Secretary – Penny Andrews (Mathematics, 1979)**Ex-officio Officers
Principal of the College – John Bowers QC
Bursar – Philip Parker
Director of Development – Liz Miller
Academic Representative – TBC
David Bradbury (Ancient & Modern History, 1981)
David Clark (PPE, 1970)
Paul Dawson-Bowling (Classics, 1961)
Rosie Duthie (Jurisprudence, 2016)
Drusilla Gabbott (English, 1982)
Amanda Holland (PPE, 1988)
Jane Johnson (English, 1987)
Alexandra Marks CBE (Jurisprudence, 1977)
Sarah Atkins (Engineering Science, 1984)
Past President 17/18 – Penny Gilbert (Biochemistry, 1978)
Past President 18/19 – Sir Paul Silk (Classics, 1970)
Past President 19/21 – Amanda Pullinger (Modern History, 1984)*Usually, an individual is elected Vice President for a year, and is then elected President for the following year. Former presidents remain on the Committee for a further three years.
**Officers hold their posts until they resign/are removed at the AGM
***Other members are (re) elected at the AGM each year
A copy of the Society’s Rules is attached here as a PDF
A copy of the most recent set of the Society’s accounts is attached here
The Society’s AGM is generally held in September, in College, on the same day as the Society’s Annual Dinner. Copies of the minutes of the AGM may be found here for 2020, and here, in draft, for 2021 (to be approved at the September 2022 AGM).