Brasenose College was founded in 1509 by Sir Richard Sutton, a Lawyer and William Smyth, Bishop of Lincoln. A Royal Charter, dated 1512, created the body of Principal and Fellows and established a College to be called 'The King's Hall and College of Brasenose'.
The College's unusual name refers to a twelfth century 'brazen' (brass or bronze) door knocker in the shape of a nose. Noses have been used as symbols for Brasenose College throughout its history.

Traditions and legends

From Ale Verses to a visit from the Devil, browse some of our quirky traditions and legends

College history

A concise history, with detail on our coat of arms and our name

Famous Brasenose Names

More information on historical figures connected to Brasenose

College buildings

An architectural history of our buildings

Archives

Click here for more information about the Archives