Professor of Chemistry and Tutorial Fellow in Organic Chemistry
MA, DPhil (both from Oxford)
Undergraduate in Chemistry at Oxford (1983-1987)
DPhil in Organic Chemistry supervised by Professor Sir J E Baldwin (1987-1990)
Post doctoral research at Columbia University, New York, supervised by Professor Gilbert Stork (1990-1992)
University Lecturer and Tutorial Fellow in Organic Chemistry, Oxford (1992 to date)
I cover all aspects of the Organic Chemistry component of Oxford's four year MChem degree
Natural product synthesis and synthetic methodology
Our group carries out research into the chemical synthesis of certain natural products selected because they present unique problems that we think we can solve in unusual and efficient ways. Our goals are to discover new chemistry and to gain deeper insights into reactivity and mechanism. We choose targets with interesting and potentially useful biological activity in part so that we can provide access to non-natural analogues that may be more selective or less toxic. Much of our research is inspired by considerations of how to assemble natural product structures and we also try to develop initially purely mechanistic hypotheses into synthetically useful processes.
1) X Ren, J A O'Hanlon, M Morris, J Robertson, L L Wong, ACS Catal. 2016, 6, 6833
Imidazolidin-4-ones via a Cytochrome P450-Catalyzed Intramolecular C-H Amination
2) M Liebeke, N Strittmatter, S Fearn, A J Morgan, P Kille, J Fuchser, D Wallis, V Palchykov, J Robertson, E Lahive, D J Spurgeon, D McPhail, Z Takats, J G Bundy, Nat. Commun. 2015, 6:7869
Unique Metabolites Protect Earthworms Against Plant Polyphenols
3) W P Unsworth, N Clark, T O Ronson, K Stevens, A L Thompson, S G Lamont, J Robertson, Chem. Commun. 2014, 50, 11393
Rhodium(II)-Catalysed Tandem Aziridination and Ring-opening: Stereoselective Synthesis of Functionalised Tetrahydrofurans
4) J Robertson and K Stevens, Nat. Prod. Rep. 2014, 31, 1721
5) W P Unsworth, S G Lamont, J Robertson, Tetrahedron 2014, 70, 7388
Substrate Scope and Stereocontrol in the Rh(II)-Catalysed Oxyamination of Allylic Carbamates
6) K Y Seah, S J Macnaughton, J W P Dallimore, J Robertson, Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 884
Synthesis of Pandamarilactone-1
7) B Wu, G C Feast, A L Thompson, J Robertson, J. Org. Chem. 2012, 77, 10623
Synthesis of Stereoisomers of Artemisia and Chrysanthemum Bis(acetylenic) Enol Ether Spiroacetals
8) K Clarke, K Tchabanenko, R Pawlowsky, E Carter, M T King, K Musa-Veloso, M Ho, A Roberts, J Robertson, T B VanItallie, R L Veech, Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 2012, 63, 401
Kinetics, Safety and Tolerability of (R)-3-Hydroxybutyl (R)-3-Hydroxybutyrate in Healthy Adult Subjects
9) K Stevens, A J Tyrrell, S Skerratt, J Robertson, Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 5964
Synthesis of NP25302
10) W P Unsworth, K Stevens, S G Lamont, J Robertson, Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 7659
Stereospecificity in the Au-Catalysed Cyclisation of Monoallylic Diols. Synthesis of (+)-Iso-altholactone
See a list of Brasenose's Honorary Fellows.
See a list of Brasenose's Emeritus Fellows.
Visit the Brasenose Prospectus page
Read more about studying at Brasenose College.
Interested in undergraduate study? Read about the courses we offer